….Here’s a running survey to add to the mix. Hi there! Have you seen this floating around the blogosphere?
Before we jump into today’s post, I need to confess my latest addiction to you:
BC fruit! I can’t get enough. Is there anything better than taking a bite into a sweet, ripe, juicy peach and having it burst all over your hands and face? (NO)
Also – I’m currently in possession of 4L of locally brewed kombucha. They make the best ginger kombucha I’ve ever had – it’s light, crisp and tastes just like ginger ale. You have to try it, Calgary friends!
1. Would you rather run along a beach path or along a mountain trail?
Ahhhh – that’s such a tough choice. I have so much love for both – can I go with a mountain trail in Hawaii so I can still experience the ocean?
2. If you could choose the flavour of Gatorade at your next race’s aid station, what would it be?
I’ve never tried Gatorade- I use NUUN tablets instead – they’re concentrated and probably less radioactive? Haha
3. If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would be the first thing that you would purchase with it?
SHOES!!! (Nike or Mizuno)
4. Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and then decide how far and fast you want to run?
I prefer winging it.
5. Would you rather start your run with an uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with a downhill and end with an uphill?
I’d rather get the worst over and done with so that I don’t hold back on my run.
6. When you can’t run, what kind of cross-training do you do?
Bodypump or hiking. With some healing yoga thrown in there, too!
7. What is your preference – out and back, point to point or loop runs?
It doesn’t matter – I’m happy as long as the course I’m on isn’t boring. I don’t fare well in the city streets… I need trails or parks!
8. If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner, it would be…?
-The book Chi Running (it teaches physical form and technique, in addition to a proper mental mindset)
-Lululemon Run Speed shorts (love the built-in undies, they don’t ride up or fall down)
-Calf compression sleeves (minimizes and prevents calf swelling during and after training)
-STRENGTH TRAIN, STRETCH/YOGA(!!!)… and do something fun other than running. Not just for preventing and treating injuries or muscle imbalances, but as a mental break from boring monotony.
9. Do you ever see wild animals while out for a run?
All the time! I’ve encountered deer, moose, elk, coyotes, bald eagles, bighorn sheep and mountain goats. Thankfully no bears or cougars. I don’t feel comfortable running in the deep, dark woods by myself and stick to populated trails. Even then, I carry bear spray with me just to be safe.
10. Ever gotten lost while out on a run?
11. If you could have one meal ready and waiting for you each time you got home for a run for the next 30 days, what would that be?
Protein pancakes or french toast topped with lots of fruit, nut butter and maple syrup
12. Capris or shorts…what do you run in most often?
Shorts. Thankfully my legs don’t seem chafe.
13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start feeling like it’s warmed up and ready to go?
About 3 miles. It usually takes a little while for my nervous system to calm down and settle into my breath and stride. The bargain plea I make with myself is, “Just make it to 5k and if you STILL feel like death, you can stop”
14. What do you do with your key when you run?
I put them in my SCAT belt or the back pocket of my shorts. I had my car keys in my bra in this photo:
15. If you could relive any race you’ve done in the past, which would it be?
Call me crazy, but I feel apathetic when it comes to races… nothing really stands out to me. However, some of my nearest and dearest running memories occurred in Hawaii. I miss the feeling of warm, salty ocean air on my skin. Some days, I’d run to the Kilauea volcano. Or pound out mile after mile along the Pacific ocean; exploring winding roads lined with thick tropical jungle and coconut groves.
SIGH. Mountain life is pretty rad though, so no complaints. Just feeling a little nostalgic right now.
Over to you:
What are some of your all-time favorite running memories?
If you could have one meal ready and waiting for you each time you got home for a run for the next 30 days, what would that be?
Would you rather run along a beach path or along a mountain trail?