1. I become REALLY cold after I eat – like to the point where if I’m home, I put my fleece housecoat on overtop of my clothes and sit in front of a heat vent with a blanket. Or maybe it’s because I live in Canada, and it’s winter.
2. I dislike oatmeal & fruit combinations. A little banana or raisins, maybe, but something about tart fruit and grain together makes my tastebuds sad.
3. Speaking of fruit, kiwi does weird things to my tongue. It makes it hypersensitive & ‘zingy’ feeling/tasting. It’s hard to explain. Just me?
4. I’m a morning person. If I naturally wake at 6am on a weekend, my first thought is, ‘yay! I’m going to have so much free time today!’ Then I make a bunch of noise in the kitchen while Court tries to sleep. The secret to becoming a morning person is to go to bed at 7pm the night before.
Can we take a moment to observe this photo -what’s with the random purse-holding penguin?!
5. In the kitchen, I never use ‘the correct knife’ and it drives Court crazy. For example, I’ll use a butcher knife to slice a tomato or a paring knife for a steak. I’m also terrible at slicing bread, bagels , fruit… actually… everything. “Do not EVER cut a perfectionists bagel for them!” Court yelled at me when I tried to ‘help’ him with his lunch the other day. I used a bread knife, so I thought I’d magically become better at it.
I’m going to stop now. Moving along…
I made egg muffins during my food prep last weekend. They’re like mini crustless quiches – I’ve been enjoying them as a mid-morning snack, or as a salad side dish.
Spinach Pesto Egg Muffins
Yields 8 muffins
Preheat oven to 350F, lightly oil a silicone muffin pan (I forgot to bake this batch in my silicone pan, and the bottoms became a little crispy)
8 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh spinach, chopped
3 basil leaves, chopped
1 tbsp basil pesto
salt & pepper
Whisk the eggs, then add the spinach, basil, pesto, salt & pepper and stir. Pour into muffin pan, about 3/4 full.
Bake for 18-22 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
How do you like your eggs? Over easy!!! Or poached. I looooove runny yolks.